noblescent

a personal blog

Ask yourself these questions.

Ask yourself these questions. What is the first thing I think about when I wake up in the morning? What is the last thing I think about before I sleep? What do I think about most? What makes me cry? What makes me most angry? Who do I try to please most? What do I want most? What do I fear most to lose? If the answer to these questions is something fleeting, isn't it time to reorient?
Sitting in an airport, waiting to board, and thinking about the heart. And how it turns. Know for sure the heart is a thing that turns overnight. Glory be to the turner of hearts. He's so powerful. If your heart isnt where you want it to be, seek Him to turn it. If your heart is facing Him, seek refuge in Him from its' turning.
If you want to know what kind of heart you have, reflect on these three questions: What makes you happy? What makes you sad? What makes you angry? I reflected on what makes me happy, and I found that it was, being given. I saw that I am selfish. I reflected on what makes me sad, and I found that it was, being deprived. I saw that I am needy and dependent. I reflected on what makes me angry, and I found that it was, being insulted. I saw that I am arrogant. I seek refuge from the evil of my own self.
Often we struggle with knowing which way to go. Whether it's in making an important decision, choosing a career/major, or knowing which "Islamic path" to follow, we often feel confused. Sometimes the more we think about it, the more confused we get. This happens because we tend to seek the means (help and advice of others, our own rationality or inclinations, etc) first, and forget to turn to Allah to guide us. If we sincerely turn to Him, He will guide us to the best path: "And those who strive in Our (cause),- We will certainly guide them to our Paths: For verily Allah is with those who do right. " (Quran 29:69 )
- Yasmin Mogahed 

Comments

back to top