noblescent

a personal blog

If we were created abstractly...

بِسْــــــــــــــــــــــمِ اﷲِارَّحْمَنِ ارَّحِيم

 

Alhamdulillah :) another bight sunny day at Dekalb.
it had been scorching hot a couple of days back (although it was still spring) that Allah, what a reality check!
I was sweating at all times, way more than I had in Malaysia. Alhamdulillah for my garage sale bike..going to class made easy :)preserved forests in about seven or more states of America (especially south west) by the heat wave. Subhanallah. Alhamdulillah these few days are forecasted to be a bit cooler than previous days.

So anyway...let's get into the story.

Situation

Often times I have people coming to me saying"I don't get it. How can people call themselves artists when all they do is splashing paints on canvas and put a ridiculous amount of price on their so-called masterpiece? Apparently there are people out there who would pay a fortune to own one when can they do it by themselves for a lot cheaper. Real drawings/paintings are the ones that don't need interpretive minds to appreciate and see the beauty in them. Absract, anybody can do."
I used to have the same way of thinking but never figured out the "why".


Emotionally Disturbed.

A friend of mine, John, who's an artist once said to me, "For a period of time, I used to stop drawing and painting because I compared my work with my brother's and his appeared to be way better than mine. I regained my confidence after I came back from Iraq from the military services and went through a some kind of art therapy. I had to do it because I suffered from PTSD (Post Trauma Stress Disorder) from the war. From there, I realized that I almost lost my passion - the one thing that kept me alive. I discovered that there is no need to compare my art work with others. Everyone has their own unique style and it doesn't necessarily mean one is better than the other. I mean, look at Picasso. Some people said he was just a very good businessman."

The Intelligence and Physical

Well, one thing crossed my mind for sure. If your name was established in the industry, then it would be easier to get by. That's why prominent artists have the luxury to put a mind blowing price tag for a splash of paint on canvas and still have buyers. Likewise designer's shoes, handbags and branded tissue rolls and drinks (exemplifies intelligence in conveying and attaining the physical - "easy" abstract drawing and big money with little effort).

Having conversed with my sifu, mama (who is a background of Visual Art, Fine Art and Textiles), according to her, at one point, many professional artists divert from doing real life drawings and paintings to abstract drawings and paintings. I guess you can say that they get bored. They're already experts in realism which requires compliance to several, if not, many rules of thumb. Like Allah mentions in the Quran:
"...and (Allah) has created each thing and measured it with (precise) measure" - Al- Furqan 25:2

Of course, measures or measurement could mean various of things. But it's just as correct in my context, which is also the reason why I keep reiterating that if I can draw, everyone can draw! Certain rules applied which makes drawing possible for everyone. Like me, I'm comfortable using the grid rules, but I also try to master the express way - measuring the proportion of objects using pencil. In one condition, I abide the rules.

For people who are going abstract, they are most likely to be children (beginners in drawing..stick person for example), passionate of abstract expressionism (comics, graphic, pop arts, contemporary stylistic), or challenging themselves with abstract paintings (believe it or not). In the psychology field however, one can be schizophrenic. Woah. Brace yourself.

As someone who has had experience in serious life drawing, for example portraits, frankly, there had been times when I was bored following the rules. I wanted to move on and my take my skill to another level. And the answer for that it, abstract painting which can be challenging! It's an act of rebelling. It's basically breaking the rules from what the eyes normally see. It's about unlearning what was learned. It's takes creativity and high imagination...and not to mention, sometimes, simplicity. Can we get an ugly abstract? Yes and no, I think. I don't know how they do it but I always produce ugly abstracts. It's stressing. Like how Chef Gordon Ramsay gets frustrated by Asian way of cooking where most of the time things get tossed in the wok by "secukup rasa", with no precise measurement. It's for him, as a Master Chef, not following the precise measurement is totally unprecedented. And yes, for me too as an amateur cook (always nags mama to give the precise measurement).

But I guess, on the second thought, how can abstract be ugly? It seems that I'm still stuck with certain rules of drawing/painting, for instance, maybe the composition, color and perspective have to be in certain ways to create something satisfying to the eyes even when going abstract.

Spiritual Reflection and Gaining Intelligent Insights

It explains human behavior. There are rules to be applied in our lives...but at times, they are broken. Why? Maybe from the result of one's desire and pursuit of "happiness". With rules, one feels suppressed and yearns for freedom in expressing his or her individuality. The people surrounding may like the idea, some may don't, just like how each of us puts value on abstract paintings. Now where have we seen that before?

Speaking of which, imagine, if Allah created us physically "abstract". Each one of us would be so unique and different by design. No rules and canons applied whatsoever. Coming out of our mothers' wombs, I might look like an alien and you look like a submarine and the person by the door looks macaroni. Hmm..interesting stuff.


Allah knows what every female carries and what the wombs lose [prematurely] or exceed. And everything with Him is by due measure." Ar-Ra'd 13:8


 Now, allow me to conclude that, first of all, reflection is crucial. Let it be reflecting upon abstract drawings and paintings, reflecting upon this article and things I just said or reflecting upon why did you even bother reading this article in the first place. Second of all, let's be informed of what Agent Orange is. I know...I know...it's completely random. But in the context of unique and measurement, please check this link out regarding human mutation. Interesting stuff, I assure you. And last but not least, my third point is that, reflect upon the video. It's all related to the things we've said if only you reflect with an open mind and heart. Peace yaw :)





"Corruption has appeared throughout the land and sea by (reason of) what the hands of people have earned so He may let them taste part of [the consequence of] what they have done that perhaps they will return (to righteousness)." - Al-Quran, Ar-Rum 30:41 


Moga Allah jadikan kita auliyah kepada mereka yang teropress, diopress dan mengopress. Amin. 

wallahualam. 

Comments

back to top